Tuesday, April 03, 2007

My final four

Here's a peek at the book I finished last weekend and my proud display of the finished product with the guru himself Dan Essig. He is quite the master of book arts.

While I've been focused more on painting the last few months, I have always loved book arts. It's a sketchbooks best friend you know. It's a form of functional sculpture. To make one requires a blend of creativity, craftsmanship, attention to detail, and a willingness to rip it out as needed. (kinda like knitting?!??!) I love the paper, have I mentioned I love the paper? It gives me a good reason to get more, I mean use some of the heaping stash that I already have. I love the endless combinations of thread, wood, paper and alternative materials. I see it as a well dressed man - great suit, great tie, great shirt, shoes, belt you get the point - every detail adds to the overall impression. This week my Corcoran sketchbook class will get started on it's first book.

Here's my final four. Wonder which one will get filled first?

2 Comments:

Blogger Lesley Riley said...

You and Dan! He'll be at Art & Soul won't he. Wonderful books. I like to see what you've been up to - creating inside and out. :-)

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,

I wanted to take your sketchbook class at the Corcoran, but couldn't because of scheduling conflicts. I did hear, however, that you might have some class kits available? Any chance I could get one? And where did you get your v. cool sketch notebooks?

Thanks much!
Nancy

nlynn42@hotmail.com

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home