Thursday, March 29, 2007

spring's influence

A work in progress here in the studio... Now that the weather's changing and the days are longer I can't keep my hands off all that wild color. Last week I even went out and bought a tube of magenta?!?!?

The more I paint the more I learn, every piece is a step closer to the next one. I always seem to look back at my sketchbooks for inspiration. Even if it's just the starting point. The marks in this painting look like they could have come directly out of my sketchbook. This month's issue of Cloth Paper Scissors has a few articles on keeping a sketchbook. Check it out, it's great inspiration from a few different perspectives. Next month I'm scheduled to have images of my sketchbooks and an article published in the May/June issue. More to come on that once it hits the newsstands.

My article dives deeper into why I keep a sketchbook and the different approaches I employ. Many of these points are covered in my sketchbook class that I'm currently teaching at the Corcoran this semester. That class kicked off last week with a very talented group of new students. I can't wait to see what they'll create this semester. I also lead a mini book workshop last Monday at the Art League in Alexandria - I always learn something new from my students and am amazed at what they come up with in such a short amount of time. It's a sketch-book-think-tank!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home