Sunday, April 01, 2007

Weekend works

I spent the weekend studying bookmaking with Daniel Essig. Over the course of three days we worked on two book forms that are variations of the ethiopian coptic stitch. We worked with papyrus, cotton papers, fossils, waxed linen thread, bone folders, rules, exacto knives, metal squares, PVA glue, needles, wood, hand drills, a drill press, sand paper, milk paint, a hammer, rulers, pencils, his hand made awls, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Here's a shot of Dan giving us a demonstration. I came away with 4 beautiful books. Two bound with papyrus covers adorn with fossils and two finished off with layered and distressed wood covers and many feet of thread.

Dan focuses on the book form itself, and most of his books are collectors items and left blank. For shame! Now here's the real test for me - I'd just love to turn this into my next sketchbook and can't wait to get in there and put these pages to work. But, I must admit the books themselves are so beautiful that they're a bit intimidating to work on! We'll both be teaching at the art and soul mixed media retreat this fall in Portland Oregon. I hope to have my book started by then, I'll let you know in October.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home